Thursday, January 14, 2010

Listen

I'm tired this morning. And broke. And things keep breaking in my life that I don't have the money to pay for. My microwave, garage door, oven. I live pay check to pay check. I worry with impressive consistence about my own struggles. Even still, it's a beautiful struggle. Because if I open up my ears to the sounds around me, I can still hear the sound of the river during my lunch walk, birds in the morning, my favorite song on Pandora at work...

And as mundane as those sounds may be, I do not hear, even if I lay low to the ground and listen as carefully as I can, the cries of ones who have lost everything they owned. Which wasn't much to begin with. Even now, I sit as still as a stone. And no. There aren't the muffled cries of those who are dying in the rubble alone. Or the cries of a child who can't find home, his family, not a soul he or she knows. I can't hear the heartbreak of a parent who is scraping for the body of their child, knowing the soul is gone already.



I'm pretty far removed from catastrophe. From the disaster of Haiti. It would be pretty easy to go on about my day unbothered and apathetic. Today, on CNN.com their daily survey asks: "Are you planning on donating money to Haiti?" 66% answered no. These are hard times for us all. These are the times that try men's souls. And all we can do is try, all of us, to scrape by the best way we know how. I can't quit my job and go to Haiti, handing out water to those dying of thirst. I don't even have much money to give. But I have a jar of loose change in my closet, $20 of unspent money I got in a Christmas card. It isn't much, but it's something. And matched with prayer, maybe a miracle can make it into more. Today I will donate to the Red Cross. My measly $30 might not make much of a change, but it isn't going to change my life for the worse to give it away.

If you have time, watch the news. Think about how lucky we all are to have woken up warm bed this morning. To have food on the table. To see the sun rise again and fall on the face of the ones we love. How we are blessed.
******************************************************************************************
If you do plan on donating, please make sure that it's a legitimate, well established charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment