Thursday, January 21, 2010

Warmth


It has been one of the coldest winters on record. And today was overcast, the sky hinting at a storm. It's the time of year when seasons affect mood, and the cold and dark days combined with the cold and dark sky are enough to make one want to stay inside and hibernate until spring.

Today, I went for a walk on my lunch break from work. I stopped by the Bluebird cafe (which is adorable) and got two $5 gift certificates to no one in particular and from an anonymous passer by (me). A few weeks ago, we received cards from some organization like the World Wildlife Fund with Polar Bears posing in the arctic snow. Inside, that cards are blank. I wrote: "Here is one way to stay warm in the winter cold." I placed the gift card underneath the words. On the envelopes, I wrote "Hey you!" and "Open Me". As I walked back to the office, I left them in random, highly visible places around town. (See in the tree).

I paused after two women were heading in that direction to watch as they looked at the envelope, and then decided to keep walking so they wouldn't think it was me that had left it there. I don't know if they took it, or if someone else found it. I don't know who found the other one, or if they were warmed by stealing away from the cold and sipping coffee at some corner table.

I do know that something in my soul was warmer, more vibrant, almost giddy for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment