Thursday, February 4, 2010

Re-Connecting

A few days after Christmas, I checked my mail after the comings and goings of the busy holiday season and was surprised to find cards from two dear friends I have (regrettably) not talked to in years.

One card was a family picture of one of my best girlfriends from high school. She looked as beautiful as ever, and happy with a huge family!

Another was from my college roomate, who I lost touch with because of my own selfishness and self consciousness. After college, we didn't keep in touch like we once did because of life--relationships, careers, etc. When I received an invitation to her wedding, I went, but didn't stay for the reception because I only knew one other person, and I felt self conscious and a little hurt that I wasn't as close with her as our other roomate. How selfish and foolish am I? So I went home, and this upset her--rightfully so. I was too ashamed to contact her again. And the last couple years, I have tried unsuccessfully to track down an address or phone number. So I was shocked with the realization of what a blessing it was to receive a Christmas card from her.

Getting back in touch with these two beautiful and amazing women has given me such simple and pure joy. So this Thursday, I decided to try to create this same magic in other's lives. On my lunch break, I walked to a local art store and bought beautiful cards made by a local artist. I also bought stamps. After work, I affixed stamps to the envelopes, and put the blank cards inside the plastic wrap they came in. Then, I attached a pretty piece of paper that said: "Someone you know would love to hear from you right now. Use this card and stamp as an opportunity to get in touch with them." I left them on random windshields across town.

My hope is that those cards make the days of both the senders and receivers, that both realize the love that is in their life.

Blessings,

-keri

No comments:

Post a Comment